28 April 2007

let's go fly a kite...

Arrecifes is a small town 2.5 hours north of Buenos Aires in the Pampas. Colo, Valerie's boyfriend, invited us to spend the weekend on his family's farm.

There's a lot to do in the campo. Let's see... we slept in, ate breakfast (which took some hours and when we finished, we headed into town for lunch), flew a kite, laid around, chopped wood, breathed in fresh air, petted days-old bunnies, and cooked meat.









A note about chopping wood: when I was a guest at the campo five years ago, I chopped wood and almost blinded myself when a thin branch ricocheted, flew at my face, broke my glasses, and cut my eye. Now, the woodshed is forbidden territory to me. The folk at the campo still talk about it and remember me well because of it. Back to the story...

It was Francisco's birthday (he is Valerie's friend from high school) and we celebrated with an asado and apple pie. Asado is like a BBQ—Argentine style. First, you start a fire. Then, you take the charcoal and set it aside. You place a grill atop the charcoal and delicious meats atop the grill. The meat here is so good that I have vowed to never eat (red) meat outside of Argentina.

No comments: