05 October 2006

jewel in the rough

My first full day in Lima, already I've sampled two alfajores. What is there not to love about Lima, about Perú?

Carlos waltzed me through central Lima to the Gran Hotel Bolivar and introduced me to the most famous pisco sours in the city. A friend of the hotel's general manager, celebrating the birthdays of two friends, shared his merriment and treated us to two more.

The drinks came in stoutish flutes, with short stems and simple geometry. The cocktails were a creamy sea green, topped with lathery white foam, and finished off with drops of anise-colored bitters; they tasted sweet, tart, strong, creamy, and a tad herbal from the bitters.

Our bartender, despite his wrinkle-etched face and 35-years in service, seemed youthful with his shockingly glossy black hair that I thought only existed in the imagination of anime artists.

¿Qué más? Hay mucho más.

No comments: