16 December 2006

thousand cranes

There was a Christmas party for the children in Carabayllo and I was invited to help and participate.

There were activities like crafts and face painting, and there was entertainment in the form of two clowns, one Barney the Dinosaur, and one tripped-out Mickey Mouse.

I taught origami to 20 or 30 kids, of all ages and skill levels. Just when I was halfway through a lesson, two or three kids would show up late and ask to be taught. And just as I got them caught up, a few more stragglers would show up and beg to be taught, too. For four hours, I demonstrated how to make paper cranes and couldn't move on to anything else.

For the first time, I truly appreciated Carlos's challenge to teach these kids. And, for the last time will I make anymore paper cranes.

No comments: