18 November 2006

vote, or else

Election day is tomorrow.

Even though I don't watch T.V., I've been exposed to a hearty dose of political advertisements. There are banners with candidate faces on most every road, signpost, billboard, food cart.

Do any of you remember Crazy Eddie? He used to hawk electronics on television and talked really, really fast? The dude on the left (the current mayor of Lima) reminds me of him. I think it's the thumbs-up gesture that triggered the association.

Honestly, most of the headshots are not flattering. The candidates look like they're trying to sell real estate. The photo quality is that bad. There's one guy who had crooked teeth and may have been cross-eyed. There's nothing wrong with having those features, but if your face is plastered on a 20-foot banner, having a photo taken at an unflattering angle can be particularly distracting from your message (I believe, anyway).

Another man, and I'm not exaggerating, looks like grandpa from "The Munsters." And because his banner is 20 feet tall, you can see the cooper-green eye shadow he is wearing. (He is also caked in chalk-white foundation, which makes him look singularly dracula-esque against the blood-red background of his poster.)

I planned on discussing some of the voting regulations, but Jen, my roommate, has already written an excellent post on the topic.

No comments: