15 November 2006

habits

After intensively posting for the past few days, my fingers were sore from the typing. So I finally decided to take my fancy schmancy ergonomic keyboard out of the closet.

I'm used to typing on split keyboards, but this is a different beast. This keyboard has two cups, one for each hand. The keys are spaced a bit differently and placed in a slightly different order; also the touch is much more sensitive (so I won't have to press as hard).

It feels so weird. Having been typing since the ninth grade, the keyboard is like an extension of my body. Now, everything's changed and I'm not sure I like it. My muscles and nervous connections are confused and hesitant. I spend more time correcting mistakes than producing.

But, I will admit that my hands feel so much better. The pain and tension in my digits and wrists have significantly subsided. By being flexible and assiduous, my typing is becoming more fluent.

Hopefully, I'll be able to apply this lesson to learning Spanish. It's a crazy beautiful language. There are so many things I love about it, like how it forces me to be precise about diction. However, often I grow angry and indignant at the scores of tenses and conjugations. Why?! But then, sometimes "why" is not the point. "How?" is the question I must persist in asking myself.

No comments: